The Crawler The Crawler

THAT was an awesome flash, man! I haven't posted a review in nearly two years, but your movie really put me in the mood; I'm still impressed at how well this was made!

Animation wise, you did fantastic! The movements in the characters is incredibly smooth, and with a frame rate as fast as yours, I'm surprised you kept the quality so well throughout the entire movie. The characters move realistically, too, which is great; I've noticed that most flash authors who use frame by frame animation usually just fill in the gaps between 2 different poses, but you've gone out of your way to make the movement continuous and fluid. It looks great, I'm very impressed, and I hope you keep it up!
Also, the art is very unique! There's an incredible amount of detail when it comes to the background (I mean damn, look at all those lines), and the characters look great too! They even managed to keep the detail through their movements, and some highlights include your perspective use, your walk-less cycles, and facial features. By the way, I hope not too sound too perverted, but my GOD man, the way you drew the amputee's boobs remained so consistent and real throughout the flash; I was oddly fascinated, so good job on making me feel bad for staring. Everything else was great, but that must've taken some practice.

While the art and animation stole the show, the sound was pretty good, too, and managed to do it's job pretty well. The voice acting fit nicely, and the sound melded well with what was happening on the screen. Looking back on it, I specifically remember how well the rolling of the scooter fit with the sound, and how every foot step and scuffle was accounted for, too.

As for the story, I don't think I'll see something quite like this ever again! The plot was dripping with uniqueness (I mean hell, I think the description has more weirdness than half of the cartoons on this site alone), and it managed to make the story really, "flow," I guess you could say. It's like my brain just accepted the quirky story with a shrug and let everything that was happening hit me with its emotion instead of its facts. It's like when you're watching a movie when you're a little kid; you may not understand everything, but you don't have to. The movie tells you the story though the emotion, while the details take the back seat. That's pretty difficult to muster, and while that's maybe not what you were going for, that's what I felt like, anyways. Awesome story, man, I liked it a lot!

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this flash, considering how odd everything was starting to look before I hit play! I'll be watching this one every now and then, rest assured, and I'm glad this film is getting the attention it deserves! Thanks for the inspiration!
5 outta' 5!
AWESOME JOB!

Adventures of Dr. Lawyer Adventures of Dr. Lawyer

This was fantastic!
And not to mention surprisingly so! From the first click it looked a bit amateurish, what with the scribbly style and the lazy lip-syncing, but the way this show was pulled off pushed those factors away and provided a solid episode and a great provider of funny.

Animation wise, this was pulled off pretty well! It's nowhere near Pixar or the skill of that near one of the more renowned animators on this site, but it's style is surprisingly funny. The never-stagnant characters scribble around everywhere, and the more ridiculous situations (smashing through a police door and the exponential hair growth) are made more ridiculous thanks to the crude animation style. The backgrounds also present a great cartoony feel; the color usage in particular is bright and shiny, and nothing seems murky.

The sound was very unique! It was quiet enough usually to where it was a subtle design overall, and the sound effects, being mostly vocal, provided an incredibly weird indie feel to it that you wouldn't get from the more mainstream artists. The voice acting wasn't crazy fantastic, but it was blunt and crazy funny the way it was pulled off. The clever inside jokes littering the dialogue made you really yearn to listen, trying to catch the well-timed lines. The microphone had less clarity than I'd like, unfortunately, so more of the lines were harder to hear than they should've been.

Humor wise, however, this is where the flash shines the most! You can owe most of that to the comedic timing, which was impeccable! Even lines that shouldn't have been funny were hilarious thanks to when they happened, and the lines that would be funny no matter what were unstoppable thanks to it! Another huge part of it is due to the ludicrous nature of the universe. Fish wives, tree judges, pork chop slapping, guys with phones attached to their heads, almost parasitic mustaches, etc. It's all pretty damn crazy, and they pull it off as if they're just used to that sorta' thing. If there is one thing you've definitely got right, it's the humor.

Overall, a really great flash! I've been meaning to review it for a while, but couldn't quite put my finger on why it was so damn funny! It's not perfected, but it's brilliant nonetheless. I'll definitely be paying multiple visits to this one, and I await the new episodes!
5 outta' 5 and 4 and 1/2 stars!

IDontKnowCorp responds:

Thanks bunches for the thoughtful review.
We're going to try and work on the sound quality the next go around, new mics and the likes.
Episode 2 is a ways away at this point... but I hope it doesn't disappoint :D

KOS Halloween KOS Halloween

A solid episode for the series of KOS!

It's weird that I somehow managed to let this one just float on past along with some of the other stuff I watched comin' home from the Halloween antics. Anyways, it's a pretty cool episode! There are a few issues in it, but we'll touch on those later in the review. And, beware, this review is almost 100% critique, so bear with me, Onions!

Animation wise, there's some pretty cool stuff! The characters were rich with detail on terms of shading. The motion was an overall success, but could've used a bit less tweening and more natural motion.
The backgrounds, especially the sky, don't look sloppy! I'd like it if next time you tried some crazier camera angles, as I felt it the project was sometimes just setting a scene as basic as you could. Try to add some depth next time, with extra space and places to go in the background. Give those characters plenty of room-to-run in the universe given. Great job on background work nonetheless!

Sound was good! The voice actors had some quality microphones to record on, and my favorite actor present is still the voice of Kolaskum, so hats off to him. There were a few parts that seemed stiff in the voice presentation itself, as if the characters suddenly would ignore the situations they were presented with, and while this can be executed to provide some excellent comedy as it has before, I felt it was just something skimmed over for some of the plot.
Somethin' with the sound effects I've noticed is that some of them seem a bit out of place for this episode. I've loved the atmosphere with previous episodes where it was created like a mix between 8-bit'ish, cartoon and just straight-up whatever KOS is all about, and I felt less of that here. I'm not sure what to say about it, but thinking back to the cartoon without watching it again, I can't really put forth anything I remember as being the same, or tell you any one part with cool SFX. It's not bad, but not the same or as noteworthy. You can decide how to fix that one, Onions, I'm not sure!

The impact and effect of this flash was a bit lackluster, and, ironically and sadly enough, it's only brought upon by minor and fixable issues that could easily be tweaked on through with practice and patience! It's like all the gears are working great except for these weird ones that won't turn right in the back.
The characters look like guys I want to get to know, but I feel they could reveal more with personality. I know Onions as the protagonist dork, Koloaskum as the foil and Snowball as the add-on character, and by add-on, I'm saying that I don't see any prominent character traits with Snowball just yet. I'm sure you've got one, just show it better!
Also, I'm not sure what this is supposed to be in terms of who the target audience is. The characters look all cute n' kid friendly, not to mention cool, but they start pumpin' out dialogue with, "Faggot," and "Wrinkly old ball sack." No, I'm not being some pansy and saying you need only adhere to the kiddies, but I am saying that you should keep in mind who the series is for!
Finally, the plot felt a bit unresolved. I didn't learn much about anybody, nor did I feel this was given a proper The End. The ultimate self-destruct of anything is a bad or downer ending, and I feel you should stuff in some resolution and some after-math next time. Endings are SO critical!

Overall, you get the picture by now, right? Yeah, it sounds pretty harsh, but critique reviews always make people sound like jerks. I felt you could use some for this episode, though, as it seems it wasn't as well recieved as we'd like it to be. Was it rushed, was it badly timed or was it just terrible luck? I'm sure you're good enough to find out.
But I'm still a great fan, and smile with every new episode! I look forward to the next one, of course, and I hope you take my critique to heart. Also, contrary to what it sounds like, I did laugh to myself quite a bit! Hell, even sitting alone on this chair with no shirt on at that. "MY EYES ARE OFFENDED," got me pretty good.
5 outta' 5 and 8 outta' 10!
NICE JOB!!

OnionsXD responds:

This is just about the single most epic and most helpful review in the history of newgrounds. Hands down.

I bet you could easily get a job reviewing things.

But that aside. About the animation. I did use to much tweening and it was kinda obvious too. What I was doing was trying to imitate my friend Cristo's animation style of using mostly tweens. Now I realize that that only works well with his characters because there shapes. So for future cartoons I'll revert back to frame by frame animation. :P
And about the backgrounds I was pretty lazy with that (it's the worst for me)
And when I started it I drew one giant background, then zoomed into different parts to simulate "different backgrounds" Not only did that make the cartoon lag a bit, but it also does create the problem you mentioned about the space. (I realize that now)

So! No more creating one massive background.
I get what you mean about the script too, how it kinda gets off track and they don't seem to focus on the situation at hand. I think my next cartoon stays more focused though so that's good.

And about the 8-bit sound feel of previous episodes! I used to have this program calledSFXR that generated random 8-bit sounds. I would use that all the time to make sound effects. However, I only recently found the program again (since I had it on an old computer before) So when I made this cartoon I sadly didn't have the program anymore and couldn't get 8-bit sounds.

However, in my next cartoon I got some 8-bits in there. Like this part where Onions picks up the milk with a super duper happy face. XD

About the audience thing, originally I wanted the KOS series to be a teenager/kids type show. but with this I kinda strayed trying to add things adults would find humorous to get higher ratings.
I'm going to go back and make this more kids oriented though. And if I add any adult humor, I"ll make it really subtle. ^^

About the characters. Looking back I REALLY get what you mean that I don't illustrate their personalities quite well. When I write scripts that's just something that doesn't cross my mind much. I'll take note to make that important now though.

but you got it right pretty much, Onions is the main character and kinda stupid and a dork, Kolaskums the one that's always annoyed and pessimistic, and Snowballs the add-on character guy. Besides being smart he doesn't have too much of a extravagant personality. I like to just say he's a well rounded guy (just like his body) :D

The ending part was pretty abrupt and bad. Honestly I didn't know how to end it, since they had no goals or objectives. So that's what came out.

In my next cartoon though! There's an objective though! and the ending is actually my best part. I can't wait to finish it, as I've really taken a lot of criticism and I always realize that I knew subconsciously what's always wrong with my cartoons but I always let my laziness get the best of me and leave it as is.

But from now on, I realized I need to try my absolute best if I really wanna make something good. So I'm gonna try my best to try my best. :P

Thanks again for the help! You super helped me. :D

FPA: Sneak Peek FPA: Sneak Peek

I, like thousands of others, just had a nerd-gasm.

Where do I start? :D
I've been a fan since World 1, bro, and I'm glad for how far this game's come since then. Now I hear of World 3 AND, perhaps what I'm geekin' out about the most, a downloadable arcade game?! My Xbox game library will have never looked better once I get it, I can tell you that!

The sound is, as it's always been, awesome! Nice and positive aura flyin' out the whole time and gives you sort of a sense of adventure, you can say. The bonks and boings are in full effect and somethin' about the way the door sounds when you open and close it always gives me this overall feeling of, "BRING IT, SPIDERS." I hope that the arcade title has the song from the other games that you used so often, you know? The one I'm talkin' about is the one with the fast guitar riffs and the scenic keyboard background. Maybe overused in World 2, but I'm amazingly still not tired of it, haha!

Anyways, sound can take a backseat when it comes to this game's trump card and biggest attention getter; the GAMEPLAY! Hands down, this is platforming perfection. Where others stick with the basics (running, jumping, stuff you've seen for the past 20 years), this one takes it, revamps it, and then sells it perfectly.
I'm a big fan when it comes to the little touches in gameplay, but this one's little touches end up becoming so awesome I can't help myself doin' 'em 24/7. I couldn't have possibly thought of any other mechanic to add from World 2, but you went ahead and added moves that now I can't imagine living without. I especially like how the flips adjust to how far away from the ground your about to land on is or how your character does a perfect dive or cannonball as he's about to hit the ground. Way to got the extra mile! And JESUS, the wall jumping is PERFECT. Mario can STUFF IT. Never have I had a problem with it yet, and there are so many different ways to jump off the wall (all of which are helpful in every way possible) that I really don't think it can get any better. The way you can combine the moves are downright pure FANCY. There's a reason you added that science bonus room, man, and it's 'cause combinations of awesome have never tasted sweeter.

I think what really lets me connect with this game is an old habit of mine when it comes to playing video games, and I'm sure everyone else has the same habit; acting fancy even though you don't have to. What I'm referring to is everytime you wanted to slide past a corner in Mirror's Edge using slow motion like a movie or the time you did a basic A attack with Kirby in the air from Smash Brothers just to see him spin around with some stupid grin over your friends. It's that fuel that just makes you wanna' be as cool as possible.
This game makes that instinct now only awesome and easy, it's almost necessary to feel this game's potential. The way Fancy Pants Man runs around sliding and jumping will make you feel like a total B.A. every chance it can. The movements he does (with the GREAT animation, great job Brad!) always have the aura of...well, FANCY. I also forgot the simple fun of backflipping. I thank you for showing me that fun and making it possible to basically backflip off of and from EVERYTHING.

Overall, this is the best sneak peak of anything I've yet to see. Hell, this is basically what others on this site would call a whole game, so congrats! I absolutely cannot wait for this to be released onto the consoles; you have at least 1 more excited dork who'll buy it the moment he can. I'll be sure to personally send you a PM and tell ya' what I think, and I think it's gonna' be positive. REAL positive.
AWESOME JOB!!

Dead Frontier: Outbreak Dead Frontier: Outbreak

Now THIS is a survival zombie game for Newgrounds!

Let me tell ya', most of the zombie games that I've seen so far on this site were good and all, but I'd never touch 'em again. They lose their interest after the first 10 or 15 minutes, and I felt like every single one was the same. THIS zombie game, on the other hand, was a very refreshing and needed change of pace in the zombie survival genre for this site!

Graphics were nice, actually! Sure, that wasn't what this game depended on...at all. However, what they did very nicely was set up the eerie atmosphere. Nice pictures with a simple text and blurry effect.

Sound was great! The music was great and perfect for the flash! The voice actor was really good as well, and it makes the dialogue for the situations that much more interesting. I literally skipped a scene's scenario (by clicking), and ending up dieing on purpose to LISTEN to the missed voice acting. Reminds me of some of Stephen King's audio books, and that's a compliment!

Concept was a much needed one! I love all the different decisions there were to make, and every single one that I made was made with thought and purpose in what I was doing. There was always a hesitation about what the best choice was, and I had bunches of fun! After I completed it, I did in different ways just to see what would happen, and that's where the replay value comes in! The ranking system is also a very nice touch, and I always try to get an A+ or jokingly survive trying to get an F.

Overall, a very nice game that, as a matter of face, has inspired me an a way. Maybe some day I could make a game somewhere along these lines. But anyways, this game freakin' rules!

Fig. 8 Fig. 8

Very nice game to say the least!

Perfect if you have some free time and just wanna' relax with a nice little game.

Visual aspect was nice! I like the style, with the contrast of color and simple but effective 2D imagery! Very professional looking, I have to say. May not have been that hard to draw or anything, but it makes it look great, anyways!

Sound was really good in my opinion! Yet again, anything that makes this game anymore relaxing and an overall breeze to pick up and play is a good feature in my book. I like how there's some weird background noise after each song, like someone is playing a keyboard about to set up the next song, and it's all nice a smooth, and I like that!

Some criticism for ya' though; the checkpoints can be a slight pain. If you want us to keep a freakin' 5 mile point multiplier up, why must we end it every time we want a checkpoint? Going through it to activate it would've been a bit better in my opinion. Also, the music stops after a while. This bugged me, 'cause the music is what helps you keep going, and it was some good stuff! A simple loop would've been fine. But yeah, those are my 2 cents worth. I'm still gonna' give ya' a good score because, for the most part, you deserve it!

Overall, a fine game indeed! Must have taken you a while to make, and it runs nicely. I'll be playing this for at least through the week.

[F12] Katamari Sunrise [F12] Katamari Sunrise

Haha, nice job, man!

You get an automatic 10 for using Katamari stuff, as I'm in love with the series! Other then that, the song is pretty good, but it could use a bit more varied parts to it, something to keep us interested more. But other then that, awesome job!

Keep it up!

F0R3ST12 responds:

Thanks alot!

-(August)- -(August)-

This is truly a great song.

Seriously, this has such a good mood to it.
One good reason to actually visit the audio portal. Reminds of things like...eh...good techno, anyway.

...oh yeah! Kind o' reminds me of Katamari Damacy!! Ever heard of some of that stuff? It kicks some serious ass. Joyful. Colorful. This makes me think of like flyin' through the clouds...really frickin' fast.

Max Parrish Cast Max Parrish Cast

It's STILL getting better, Xander! How in the crap are you doing that? You haven't stagnated yet!

It seems that you're giving your characters more differentiation; tall characters are taller and big characters are bigger, if that makes sense. There also seems to be more detail! It's not like detail was absent previously or anything, but the ruffles on Valerie's and June's skirt and the stripes on Max's jacket stand out to me more than the previous designs. I miss Claire's funky coat (went pretty damn well with her hair), but that's alright; it's not like I don't admire the shorts and the new knee-high's. c:

And hey, June's black now! Ethnicity, BRING IT.
The change looks nice, too; brown and purple are just good colors to me.

Definitely keep it up with the character designs, it's getting much better! I really need to start doing my own with Cletus the Cowpoke, and this is a great reminder and motivator!
KICK SOME MO' BOOTAY, SON. :D

FrostDrive responds:

Yep! I pushed the designs a lot. Made the skinny skinnier, and the buff buffer. etc.
I also made sure to actually give the girls different bodies too. It's pretty cool what you can do if you get creative about bodies. Valeries now got a short torso and long legs, and I think that really account for her character.

You don't have to miss Claire's funky coat!! The characters actually change outfits throughout the entire story, to add a sense of real life to it. But they all have their own kind of styles too.
I'm sure designing so many outfits is gonna get tedious eventually though. haha

and YES. You need to get all the character designs down for Cleetus the Cowpoke. I'd blow my pants to see that.

Space Girl. Space Girl.

Nice job, Minty, DANG!!

I love it, this is awesome! Great proportions, poppin' background effect and some sexy linears! Well, sexy girl, too, I guess, good job on that. c:
I especially like the glowy thing in her hands and the look of her face and boots!

Keep it up!! <3

MintyCake responds:

Hey! Thank ya'. C:

Happy Birthday, Hyptosis. Happy Birthday, Hyptosis.

Wow! This looks fantastic!

Dude, you outdid yourself on this one!

The curves on the character really suit the hell outta' her! The eyes look gorgeous and GOOD LORD, the hair and the hips are spot on! It might've been already mentioned, but those freckles really work, not to mention the clothes look spot on! The background is also very impressive, with a modern and very cartoonish look the complements your work a hundred times over.

Overall, I'm glad I've discovered your profile, today! You've got one HELL of a style, I'll tell you that right now. When it comes to drawing cute, curvy girls, you've got it DOWN, and after seeing all the other work you've done, I can't see that you ain't stoppin' any time soon. Keep it up, man, I'll be waiting for the next one you do!
FANTASTIC JOB!!

P.S. Was Hyptosis pleased?...or rather, how ecstatic did he get, haha! There isn't no way in hell I wouldn't be with that. Happy Freakin' Birthday for him!